Tuesday, April 24, 2018
Saturday, April 21, 2018
Sunday, April 15, 2018
I went to a local fiber festival. There were few if any classes but that wasn't my primary reason for going. I wanted a taste of the experience. The festival was the Allentown fiber festival. I went with a sister in law and we met up with a friend of mine there.
First thing I should have considered was travel. This was an easy drive for us. Unexpected road construction worked against us for arriving at our anticipated time. All in all not terrible.
Once we arrived and met up with the rest of our party, the real fun started. Catching up is always great with friends you don't get to see often. There were outside vendors. Some were in open canopies. They were pretty smart. There were quite a few in the closed sided tent provided. That was stifling in the heat. But a lot of very interesting things were there.
Saturday, March 31, 2018
We've all done the what if..... game. Either when we were bored or couldn't sleep or maybe as part of a getting to know you exercise. Here is my adaptation of this.
If you were on a tropical deserted island, what would you want to crochet? Knit? Fiber, weight, type of item, specific pattern or designer.
What if you were on an arctic deserted island, what would you want to crochet and Knit? Fiber? Weight? Type of item? Specific pattern or designer?
Would you need a book for This? Name the book.
On the tropical island, I would want to have cotton, linen and hemp in lingering weight to worsted weight yarn.
Wednesday, March 28, 2018
- Table runner: Seam 5 or 6 large swatches (10-12 inches square) into one long piece. Line or not with coordinating fabric as desired.
- Place mats: Seam 6 together in a 2 x 3 grid. Each swatch should be 4 - 6 inches. Line or not as desired.
- Cowl: Seam 5 or 6 together as for a runner, then complete the ring. The size of each swatch should be 8 inches or so. Use fibers that feel nice. Line with fleece or not. Wear with pride
- Beanie: Seam 4 swatches 5" each in a long piece then complete the ring. Add a 5th 5" swatch at the 5th side (like the ceiling in a 4 walled room). This should fit an adult. You can crochet around the bottom edge to give it a finished edge.
- Scarf: Seam 5 or 6 together just like for the table runner. Use fibers that feel nice. Wear with pride.
- Hand towel/Dish towel: Sew 6 6 inch swatches in a 2 x 3 configuration. Add trim as desired. Use cotton for the absorbency.
- Baby block toy: Seam 6 into a block and stuff before the last seam is sewn. I like to add a jingle bell (with the X squeezed tighter to prevent the ball clapper from being potentially swallowed) in the center of the stuffing. Use pattern stitches that are not lace like or otherwise open.
- Diaper cover: This is more cute than functional for keeping the baby's surroundings dry. Seam 5 in the shape of a T. For this two pieces of 1 x 1 inch Velcro will be helpful by being sewn on the ends of the arms of the T. The other side of the Velcro gets sewn to the edges of the foot of the T.
Thursday, March 22, 2018
Tuesday, March 13, 2018
As you tap a section to see what lovely morsels are there, you get an ad. When you tap the pattern or tip or technique, you are whisked away to YouTube and an ad will play for at least 5 seconds before you can start the video. You can usually stop the video after 5 seconds by pressing the skip ad button.
All in all I wouldn't download this app. It's a directory rather than a how to. I'd prefer to save the space on my device for patterns and such and search YouTube for the desired pattern, tip, tutorial, teacher.