Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Have you ever.....

I know, I know. That's a very leading question.  But it was sparked by a desire to use up all the yardage for a blanket. 

You may or may not know about the math that can be used to figure out how much to keep for the binding off process.   I am not in a good place to do that math. Numbers are not my friend right now. So I thought about it as I went about life.

My idea is to knit until I get just a couple of inches left.  I will then take a crochet hook and starting with the next stitch, pull the second stitch through the first. I will repeat the process to the last stitch with a couple of inches of tail. Then I will invisibly join and see the ends down.

In my mind this should work just like a regular plain bind off.  It should not pull the edge tight.
OK I tried it.  It worked great. The only thing I did not do was sew down the ends. This crochet hook method took longer than a regular bind off but not much.

However the edge did pull in and was tight. I don't think this will be a problem on finer knits. But the size 13 needles and one and a half stitches to the inch definitely need a more stretchy bind off.

No comments:

Post a Comment