Friday, November 14, 2014

Arctic Vortex? Or just winter coming

This week in my small corner of the planet, we've had temps in the mid 60's, rain, temps in the mid 30's, snow flurries, and wind.  I'm amazed by the diversity we have experienced.  It also brought home the state of accessories.  The accessories I think of are hats, scarves or cowls, mittens or gloves, slippers and socks. Then I went to work at my day job and it's cold there in some of the locations I work in.  Then I went to Michaels for classes.  Students and co-workers alike are looking for winter woolies.

There are requests for mitten pattern help, Christmas stocking help (socks), scarves and hats.  Before too long there might be a request for baby items. Gotta love babies!

It also made me think when I saw the stacks and stacks of blocks in the classroom of the homeless people.  Warm up America gets blocks donated to be joined into afghans to help keep people warm.  Lebanon Hopes is the local homeless shelter.  This joint effort has contacts with different churches to use their social halls/cafeterias for people to sleep in during the fall/winter/spring seasons.  Even though these are enclosed areas with heat, electric, and running water; these spaces lack the comforts of home.  An afghan goes a long way to helping the comfort.  Consider coming out to help join at your local Michaels.

Stay warm and have a very happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment