Thursday, March 17, 2016

Weather and Knitting and Crocheting

I don't know what your weather has been doing.  I know what my weather is supposed to be doing.  I know what it has NOT been doing.

Beginning of March is supposed to be cold.  I should be wearing long pants and sweaters with a coat still when I go out.  This March in the beginning, I have had the windows open most days and nights.  We had to close the windows and put on the air conditioning to get the heat gone on a day when there was no breeze to cool the house below 80*.  This March I have worn shorts and still been warmer than I liked.  We have had more rain and wind than usual and less snow.

All this to say, there have been days when I felt too hot to knit or crochet.  I know, I know.  It even happens to me.  But then I took a look at what was in my hands, wool, fuzzy acrylic, alpaca, heavy and thick yarns.  I have swapped out for thinner and smoother yarns like cotton and smooth acrylic.  The acrylic does hurt my hands, but it is what is required for the charities I support.  Wool felts after all.  Cottons aren't that warm in winter.  I'm not sending alpaca, llama, silk, or linen to the charities either as they are both expensive or not wanted by the charities for whatever reason.

It may or may not be a good thing that I have so many WIPS going.  I put away the things with no deadlines that are too warm to work with and pull out the cooler projects or horror of all horrors, start something new.  I have also been reading or listening to audio books.  I can't wait to be able to write reviews of what I've been reading.  There have been so many great books.

I may have also ordered some that I needed.  Sadly, I don't have a local bookstore any longer.  Waldenbooks was the last chain bookstore in my town.  A nonchain bookstore opened for all of 6 months two years ago.  They now operate only at Christmas.  I have had to go to Amazon, ebay, and paper back swap  for books I'm trying to find.  There may be other places, but these are usually one stop shopping for me.  The paper back swap site is next to free at this point but you have to wait, sometimes longer than you want.  There are trade offs to every thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment