Friday, November 10, 2017

A Year of Stitches Week 46

In my locale, the temps much cooler than they were in summer.  There might be snow, if a miracle happens.  The days are shorter.  Candy has been distributed and probably inhaled before it was gotten home and checked by diligent parents.  What's it like where you live?

As a small child, I liked Halloween up until the actual day.  There was usually a Halloween party in my classroom.  But because it was very cold in my hometown, my costume was always hidden when we went out trick or treating under my coat.  Some years we just wore a half mask similar to those worn during Carnival in Latin America and New Orleans for Mardi Gras except without the glitz and glitter.  Unlike little Zuzu from It's a Wonderful Life, I didn't have the option of leaving my coat open or even home.  If I tried putting the costume over the coat, I looked like a miniature hockey player who was a bit crazy in wardrobe. 

I did like Thanksgiving and Christmas much better.  There was the cooking and baking.  My sister and I weren't allowed to do much other than watch.  But we did get to lick the bowls.  This was decades before you would get sick from raw eggs and other new things to worry about. 

So Here is a fabulous chart for color work sharing one of my childhood memories.  The Peanuts was always the first show to air during the month with a holiday.

Work the knit version in stockinette and the crochet version in single crochet.  It appears the designer intends for each large square to be 4 smaller ones.  OOPs.  I'm wrong.  Each large square is 8 or 10 small ones.  This done in worsted weight would make a great wall hanging or afghan if you decorate for the holidays.  I suggest blowing it up and taping it together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment