Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Charity Begins at Home

We've all heard this at one time or another. I heard it growing up, little did I know how much it was true.  But let's look at the different ways this applies to us.  Here is one way to apply knit and crochet to people in need.

1. What is charity?  If we consult a dictionary,  it will say something like an agency set up  to provide help and raise money for those in need. It's also the things given as help.   For our purposes,  charity is the time, talents, and money we contribute to those in need.  My cooking for homeless people is time and talent spent in charitable works.  Sometimes, though,  money is the best fit.

My local clothing bank needs men's socks in particular. The knitter in me says sure I can knit socks. Realistically speaking,  I don't have time to knit men's socks.   Not only are men's feet larger,  but the leg must be longer and they prefer dark colors that can be hard to see. Plus in a week's time, I can only do maybe a sock.   It's far more expedient to use the sock money to purchase a package of 3 to 12 pairs of socks in appropriate colors.  I have saved time and helped more people for the same outlay of money. 

Now if I know that every year they will need socks,  I can knit throughout the year and feel great about that.  I do this with blanket squares.   Check out my year of crochet stitches and year of knit stitches posts for ideas. 

Other charities to consider are Humane Society to help pets, environmental causes,

No comments:

Post a Comment