Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Do you have qiviut tastes on acrylic budget?

 Like many, I have expensive tastes.  I like some of the finer things in life.  I like qiviut, cashmere, angora....  Ok I'm stopping now.  I'm getting tempted to go shopping.  However, I think we can agree that purchasing a skein of any of these is expensive, from $$ to $$$ for each skein.  

Reclaiming yarn can be a way to satisfy these tastes.  I buy sweaters and other fun knit and crochet pieces to unravel for the yarn.  I also unravel things I have made that either didn't fit right or went completely sideways.  Possibly I ran out of yarn.  Possibly I lost the pattern or needles or hooks.  One never knows.

But if you have a bit of patience and a span of time, like me you can have beautiful luxury fibers for small money.    This is especially true for those who live on a fixed income.  We know who we are.  I do have one thing going for me that others might not.  I have an adult son who likes to thrift shop.  He has been taught what to look for and therefore I can trust him to purchase cashmere sweaters to disassemble as well as any other animal fiber.  Perhaps you to can train a child or neighbor to look for these gems.

And while I love the luxury fibers I have a fondness in my heart for the roots from which I sprang, Red Heart yarns.  These sturdy work horses have gotten me through a lot of children's sweaters and toys and baby items.  We all know that their clothes and toys live a hard life and require frequent washing.  However, if I do something I think will last a lifetime, I will be using a fancier yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment