Monday, March 9, 2015

tiny travel purse

Last year due to the weather, my husband and I have had to rearrange our rooms a bit.  As much as I like winter, this one has been a challenge at times.  But due to that new set-up, I came across the small purse I crocheted for the trips we have taken.  I really like it as I can tuck it in a pocket if necessary or carry it on my wrist. In spite of its size it holds a lot.  I carried my husband's smart phone when we were together.  It also carried my cell phone, the cash/traveler's checks, license, credit and debit cards, insurance cards (you never know what could happen when traveling), my emergency knit/crochet guide, change, confirmation pages for all the reservations, crochet hook, pen, pencil, note paper, and some jewelry.  Best part of this was the airlines didn't count it as a purse, so I could take a backpack with as another carryon with clothes and other essentials.

How did I make this?  What would I change?  What did I like about it?  I like it for its compact size and stretchy nature.  If I did another one, I would add a gusset.  And now for the pattern.

Tiny Travel Purse

1 oz worsted weight acrylic yarn, color of choice.  I used Red Heart Super Saver in aspen print.
5 yards of a contrast color.  I used Red Heart Super Saver in aran.
H hook
4 inch closed on both ends zipper

Pocket 1. (Make 2)

Ch 16.
R1: hdc in 3rd ch from hook and rest of ch across.
R2-6: ch 2, turn and  hdc in each st across.
Fasten off after row 6.

Pocket 2  (Make 2)

Ch 16.
R1: hdc in 3rd ch from hook and rest of ch across.
R 2-9: ch 2, turn, and hdc on each st across.
Fasten off after row 9.

Main body (Make 2)

Ch 16.
R1: hdc in 3rd ch from hook and in rest of ch across.
R2-15: ch 2, turn, and hdc in each st across.
Fasten off.

Now decide your configuration.  I put the pockets all on the outside.  You can put some inside and some outside.  My configuration is pocket 1 on the very outside, pocket 2 is between 1 and the main body.  I did this on both sides with all the bottoms at the bottom of the bag.  Now starting at the thinnest part at the top of one side, single crochet all together with the contrasting color.  Work down the side through all layers as you come to them.  Work 2 sc in the corners, across the bottom and back up the other side to the corner.  For the strap, I worked 30 foundation sc and joined to the beginning sc.  Sew the zipper by hand.  That's all there is to it.

For the gusset,  ch 6, hdc in 3rd ch and across.  Ch 2 turn and hdc across.  Rep R 2 until you have 40 rows.  Insert it Between the pockets/main body sections and sc these sections to each side.  Lastly sew in the zipper.  Do this by hand for 2 reasons.  1 It's too small to do on your sewing machine easily and 2 you can be sure to position it just right and not shred the yarn.

In the new issue of Crochet World!, I saw a similar item.  The magazine called it a car organizer as it clipped on the air vent.  It was also one sided to hold the daily commute necessities.  Guess good ideas really are timeless...

No comments:

Post a Comment