Friday, August 3, 2018

Charity Knitting and Charity Crocheting

While there is a specific month dedicated to this (January), I will be talking about it in the summer.

Most of the charities will utilize small items.  Small squares can be made into larger afghans for distribution.  Hats and scarves are small.  Mittens and gloves are small.  Cowls can be small.  These are all things that can be made for charitable distribution during the hot summer months.

Some thoughts about charity knitting and crocheting.  Think about the intended recipients.  Men tend to like darker colors in "man colors", black, chocolate, navy, maroon, forest. These colors also tend to not show dirt for those who are living rough.

For kids, brighter colors are the rule.  Kids, in my experience, tend to like colors that match up with their favorite book, movie or cartoon characters.  I'm thinking back to a few years ago when Harry Potter was all the rage.  House colors ruled.  Dora the Explorer and Minions took over a few years ago for the younger set.

Choose easy care fibers. But more importantly, check out the requirements for your specific donation site. They might have special needs. Knitted knockers is this way.  My go-to for charity work is acrylic.  It can be tossed in the  washer/dryer. It can be hand washed and hung out to dry or laid flat.

A new yarn I'm testing out.   Lion Brand Scarfie has been on the market for at least 2 years.   It was gifted to me a while ago and only now am using it.   I picked up a second ball of this. I'm doing a Clapotis.  I chose neutral colors to have maximum appeal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment