Wednesday, September 14, 2016

What's Old is New Again

And what's new is old.

I love antique pattern booklets.  Some are not antiques in the usual sense but vintage.  I've also been looking through my books, booklets, sheets and magazines.  A friend was looking for a definite stitch and I thought I had seen it.  I didn't have it in my library but on Pinterest.

But I was looking through these while watching tv.  There is a new online car sales commercial that caught my eye.  It was crochet in the wild so to speak.  It was also too horrible to contemplate.  It was a man in a granny square suit that was ill fitting besides being a train wreck.  Let me clarify.  I like granny squares.  A lot.  They are a go to for afghans for me.  But this poor man was in a suit made of granny squares that pinched him if his walk it to be the proof of things.  See the commercial HERE.

But then I took another look through my magazines.  I have several Woman's Day Granny Square pattern magazines.  I'm certain there are some good uses for granny squares, maybe even clothes.  Thees might not be it for me.  I will grant that some of these are interesting in the construction.  The colors perhaps not so much, at least for my taste.  These are a few of the images that show up for granny square clothes images from google.  Interesting?

Image result for man in granny square suit  Image result for man in granny square suit  Image result for man in granny square suit

Image result for man in granny square suit  Image result for man in granny square suit

Image result for man in granny square suit Done in different colors that were not so jarring, This could be a comfy top.


Image result for man in granny square suit  I like this but again, the colors need to be updated.  Maybe some nice jewel tones in a mercerized cotton, slightly larger hook to open up the lace effect.....  Or perhaps to complement my red hair, greens and purples........

Most of the images, though, truly look like you are attempting to wear an afghan.
Image result for man in granny square suitImage result for man in granny square suitImage result for man in granny square suit
Image result for man in granny square suitImage result for man in granny square suitImage result for man in granny square suit

The grey and black suit is a tad frightening for office wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment