Saturday, January 7, 2017

A year of stitches

This year, I have been seeing a hashtag called a year of stitches.   It appears to be all about embroidery.   I really like the idea.  I have an idea to corrupt it here, but with knit and crochet stitches.   It will be kind of like the popular temperature afghans that are using colors and temperature  (either high or low for the day).

This idea will start today and run through the end of the year.  I plan to make a 4x4 swatch in the stitch of the day in both knit and crochet.   I will use worsted weight yarn and size 7 needles or size G hook.

The stitches will be named and if needed directions given.  To start the year, today will be stockinette stitch and single crochet.  Cast on or chain enough for 4 inches.  Work each until you have a square.  Bind off or fasten off.

Choose your colors or use stash or whatever remnants are laying around.   Keep the fibers the same throughout.  If you're making a blanket that is to be washable,  stay with machine washable yarns.

At the end of the month, I will post a picture of the month's squares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment