Thursday, July 4, 2013

Christmas in July Day 4

Because today is the 4th of July, a day that holds a lot of meaning in America, I have something that will remind me of fireworks.  I remember as a child sitting on a blanket or possibly a lawn chair watching the fireworks display.  As I got older, the colors and shapes held even more appeal but were less visual since the store that sponsored them went out of business.  The community park that put on a display at the other end of town had very large trees obscuring the view that I discovered I had from the second story of my soon to be home with my soon to be new husband.  I still love seeing the reds, greens, blues, and bright whites of the displays.  I'm not such a big fan when the large BOOM!!! hits though.

Today's projects are holiday party appropriate and a nice reminder of this day.  The patterns for today are evening bags, those tiny little purses to hold just enough to get you through a party or a nice evening out.  This idea hit me when I read 
"Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair: The True-Life Misadventures of a 30-Something Who Learned to Knit After He Split" by Laurie Perry.

 She has some really cute patterns in the back of the book.  Her pattern that I zeroed in on was for a lightly felted yet sparkly fun fur wallet sized purse hanging from a bracelet or two.  The bracelet idea really appealed to me.  Keeps things close that I may need and doesn't get in the way except for eating.


I took this idea and decided to run with it a bit.  What about holding 2 or 3 strands of sparkly yarn together without the wool for felting and using a smaller needle size?  Good just don't keep pens or loose change in there.  What about holding a strand or two of sequin studded yarn with or without the furry yarn?  Also good.  Either one of these with the wool?  Interesting.  I came up with all kinds of things.  Let your imagination soar with this.

Then I thought what else is out there for this???  I know I'm usually up for a nice new bag for a special occasion.  I don't always have something though.

Here are some links for your consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment